Department of French
Aim to provide opportunities for students to learn French, to experience culture in French-speaking countries, to expand international perspective, and to enhance cross-cultural communication and critical thinking skills, our department actively cultivate the international exchange and cooperation. Currently working with the University of Provence (Université de Provence-Aix-Marseille), University of Lyon II (Université Lumière-Lyon 2), Catholic Institute of Higher Education (ICES: Institut Catholique d’Études Supérieures), Catholic University of Lille (Université Catholique de Lille), University of Cergy-Pontoise (Université de Cergy-Pontoise) in France, and the new Catholic University of Louvain (Université Catholique de Louvain), translation and interpretation Brussels Higher Institute (Grande École de Bruxelles – Institut Supérieur de Traducteurs et Interprètes) in Belgiom for exchanges and cooperation and with other seven schools, each year providing approximately 25-30 opportunities for high school students or international exchange students, to enable students for a period of one semester or one-year student exchange-program. The department provides students with access to other universities like Shanghai International Studies University and Beijing Foreign Studies University with a chance of short-term visit.
The department organize for a period of two to three weeks of short-term exchange study visits per year with the college of Sainte-Jeanne d’Arc de Caen, Catholic Education Group, and International School St. Denis.
International Cooperation Degree Program
Under the General Agreement on International Academic Cooperation between ESC and Wenzao, both institutions agree to cooperate in co-training international students in management and business fields and to facilitate Wenzao undergraduate students to study in the post-graduate programme in ESCR.
WENZAO Bachelor + ESC Rennes Master Degree under a 3+1.5 model
This cooperation is to enable Wenzao undergraduate students register in a 4-Year Bachelor’s Program, after successfully completed all their bachelor courses in Department of French within 3 years. On their 4th year, they will be studying in ESC Rennes on one of the 12 Masters’ (MA, MSc) programmes (excepted MSc in International Finance; MSc in International Accounting) starting in September in order to obtain both the Wenzao Bachelor’s degree and ESCR Master’s degree. Wenzao students should follow and succeed the required master courses at ESCR (from September to the following May) as a Post-Graduate Credit Transfer Student. Once they will be granted the Bachelor’s degree by Wenzao, they will be transferred to Master’s Degree study and will complete the internship and dissertation part. Their ESCR post-graduates’ credits will be transferred to their master degree study to enable them to obtain the degree if the requirements are fulfilled.
Wenzao students should follow the required master courses at ESCR, will complete the internship and dissertation part and succeed the required master courses at ESCR (from September to the following May). Their ESCR credits will be transferred as a Post-Graduate Credit Transfer Student for Wenzao, to their master degree study to enable them to obtain the degree if the requirements are fulfilled. Once they will obtain the ESCR credits, they will be granted the Bachelor’s degree by Wenzao, and Master’s Degree study in ESCR.
WENZAO Bachelor + ESC Rennes Master Degree under a 1+1.5 model
This cooperation is to enable Wenzao students register in an Upper College (2-Year) Bachelor’s Program, after successfully completed all their bachelor courses in Department of French within 1 year study. They will spend their 2nd year at ESC Rennes on one of the 12 Masters’ (MA, MSc) programmes (excepted MSc in International Finance; MSc in International Accounting) starting in September in order to obtain both the Wenzao bachelor’s degree and ESCR Master’s degree. Wenzao students should follow the required master courses at ESCR, will complete the internship and dissertation part and succeed the required master courses at ESCR (from September to the following May). Their ESCR credits will be transferred as a Post-Graduate Credit Transfer Student for Wenzao, to their master degree study to enable them to obtain the degree if the requirements are fulfilled. Once they will obtain the ESCR credits, they will be granted the Bachelor’s degree by Wenzao, and Master’s Degree study in ESCR.
Double Degree Policy for Wenzao Students
Programme of study
Wenzao students who are studying in an undergraduate programme in Wenzao : students having already fulfilled the requirement of their undergraduate courses and have obtained enough Bachelor Credits equivalent to 180 ECTS credits (which is equivalent to 120 US credits) may apply to study at ESC Rennes with the following options:
Students will be registered at ESC Rennes as fee paying “Post-Graduate Seeking” students.
The students concerned will be registered under the specific term for the year 2015/2016 (The dates are given as examples) and this principle will be applicable for the next cohorts:
- From September 2015 to July 2016: as “Post-Graduate Seeking” Students on a specific Master program (MA or MSc) and take all the compulsory courses required by this specific Master program in which the student concerned is registered. Student will obtain full ECTS credits for each successfully completed course;
- From August 2016 to November 2016, 2 paths are offered to the student according to the situation:
- If succeeded in the courses of first period (from September 2015. to July 2016), Students are allowed to pursue the following studies at Master (MA or MSc) program as a “Master Degree Seeking” student from August 2016 to November 2016. After successful completing all the requirements for Master Degree, the student will obtain the Master (MA or MSc) Degree issued by ESC Rennes.
- ESC Degree : If any failure on the first period’s studies; student will continue to be registered as “Post Graduate Credits Seeking” students on the specific Master (MA or MSc) Program and will obtain the ECTS credits on the courses and activities (internship or/and graduating project) successfully completed. The student will obtain a “Certification of Post-Graduate Studies” and the Official Transcripts.
- Wenzao Degree : Students will be awarded their degrees at the end of the period of the double degrees period. If they fail to complete ESC degrees, they will obtain Wenzao Bachelor degree. If they finish their studies earlier and do not pursue their studies in ESC, they will receive the Wenzao bachelor Degree in July 2016 according to the normal procedures for graduate student’s regulation.
The duration of Master’s Programmes (MA & MSc) at ESC Rennes is 15 to 16 months including course work (8 months: from September to April) and dissertation writing (from May to November); including 4-6 months of internship (from May to November) which is compulsory for MSc programmes and optional for MAIB programme. An optional Winter Session of 2 weeks in January is included into the Master MA, MSc programmes. Students may be sent to one of our partner universities in Europe.
The exact programme of study is an annexe of this agreement and will be updated by ESC Rennes each year.
Promotion & Communication
Both ESCR and Wenzao will publish information at the campus and the website about this cooperation programme. Both ESCR & Wenzao will organize seminars and do presentations or facilitate ESCR recruiting staff to do presentations at Wenzao’s campus.
ESC Rennes will provide students with the following information by December 30th each year:
- The number of students ESCR is willing to accept the following year,
- The tuition fees for the following year,
- The courses offered the following year
And also provide general information on accommodation & practical information on getting to Rennes.
- Students are first selected by the Department of French on the basis of their academic record, performance record and their motivation. They should follow the Department of French Application Procedure and respect the closing dates. Each candidate has to include a Parental Permission Form and the requested documents, and must attend information sessions.
- Students from Wenzao must obtain 180 ECTS credits (which is equivalent to 120 US credits) of Wenzao before their departure to ESC.
- Enrolled students should be selected by ESC, and successfully completed an oral interview, according to ESC own criteria (English proficiency, French proficiency, motivation…). Students should follow the Admission Procedure of ESCR.
- Students should have finished majority of their Bachelor courses and obtained enough Chinese Credits equivalent to 180 ECTS = 120 US Credits. Student should submit a letter from home university certifying the number of Chinese Credits obtained and final transcripts to ESCR before 31 September cohort. Same requirements applies for the next cohorts;
- Students should have a good level of English language demonstrated by an official test (minimum: IELTS 6.5, TOEFL 80 IBT, TOEIC 750), the score may be provided when available before the programme at ESCR starting.
- There is no requirement for French language but if electives in French are chosen, proficiency in French will be also required (minimum: DELF B2, DALF C1 or TCF TEF).
Student application documents
Wenzao will provide ESCR with the following each year the completed application files* for all students selected for the programme before 31st May, Each application file should include:
- Application form (of ESCR) completed and signed by the student+photo+ application fees:60€ (non-refundable);
- CV in English;
- Motivation letter in English;
- Transcripts for the semesters which had been finished.
The following documents may be completed before the programme starting in September:
- Passport & visa (2 copies of each)
- Birth certificate
- Transcripts of last semester
- A letter from Wenzao certifying the number of Chinese Credits that the students have obtained.
- English test copy
- OFII form (delivered by French embassy while visa issuing)
Acceptance & Enrolment Procedure
- Submission of application documents & application fees (sent directly to Shanghai Representative Office);
- An interview (face to face at campus or by phone) by ESCR’s professor (The interview will test the candidates’ English ability, their competence for finishing the study in Rennes, their adaptation to new environment, their group work abilities, self-confidence and self-control, etc.)
- ESCR’s internal admission committee
- An offer of acceptance together with an Enrolment Form by ESCR
- Student’s enrolment by sending back to ESCR the completed and signed Enrolment Form and first instalment of tuition fees.
- ESCR will send the Confirmation Letter and relevant materials for visa application and will coordinate with the Campus France office to facilitate the visa procedure.
Fees & expenses, French Social Security and Complementary Health Insurance
Students should aware the following expenses and fees:
- Application fees: 60€, non-refundable and payable directly to China Representative Office of ESC Rennes School of Business,
- Tuition fees at ESCR: The MA or MSc programme tuition fees are 24600€ (in 2016) per academic year and are payable by transfer directly to the ESC Rennes School of Business’ account and divided into two instalments: firstly 3000€ before the deadline fixed by the Offer of Acceptance and the balance before the end of August.
- Tuition or registration fees at Wenzao (only if double registered as final year Bachelor student) to be specified and paid directly to Wenzao. Tuition fees at Wenzao are payable entirely at the time of registration for the whole study period,
- Each student will provide his or her own health and accident insurance that meets both institutions’ requirement. Proof of adequate insurance coverage must be provided to the international office of each institution prior to or upon arrival.
- French Social Security is mandatory, around 220€, the exact amount to be specified by ESCR; payable by cash via ESCR to French government Agency CPAM
- Alumni membership is also compulsory, a 150€ for lifelong membership to be paid via ESCR to the Alumni Association of ESCR.
- A complementary health insurance is optional; it will be the student’s responsibility to purchase it on arrival during the orientation week,
- Living expenses are about 600€-800€ per month including housing, transport, food and leisure. The students are responsible for managing their own living expenses,
- Winter Session: There is no additional tuition fee for the Winter Session. Students should pay the travelling expenses and part of living expenses (accommodation & food),
- ESC Scholarship application is open to all enrolled students, within the limit of the number of places available.
Accommodation & Student Welcome
ESC Rennes will provide information on accommodation types, distances to the campus and the costs and help students to reserve accommodation. Students should decide themselves to reserve the accommodation and pay the reservation fees to the landlord directly. Details of the academic calendar, including dates for international orientation and other practical information will be sent on due time.
Students will be responsible for making their own travel arrangements to Rennes and have to inform ESC Rennes of the date and time of their arrival. These dates should be in accordance with the International Student Orientation days so that ESC Rennes will organize for students to be met at Rennes railway station or airport and taken to their residence.
ESC Rennes will do proper orientation to help students to adapt to the new study life as soon as possible.
Registration and student status
The students will be registered as full time Post Graduate students at ESCR and will have the same rights and obligations as all ESCR students during their studies at ESCR. Students will be informed in due time of the period and procedure for class registration.
Transcripts and final certificate
ESCR will be responsible for issuing certificates of registration, transcripts, “Postgraduate Certificate” or “Master Degree” to concerned students and keeping the students records. Individual transcripts of all students will be sent to the students directly (or via Representative Office) at the end of each semester. Students successfully completing their programmes (courses, dissertation and internship if compulsory) at ESCR and meeting the graduation requirements will be granted “Master’s Degree” and Wenzao Bachelor’s degree.
Department of Japanese
In order to provide students with overseas opportunities of learning Japanese, experiencing Japanese culture, shoring up their learning interests and widening up their international view, our department devoted itself to international exchange programs. We have signed a number of academic exchange contracts with Japanese universities, such as Shigakukan University, Kagoshima Immaculate Heart University, Meisei University, Seisen University, Kanda University of International Studies, OISCA Technical College, University of Kochi, Osaka Gakuin University, for exchanging students each year. In particular, University Saga and Kochi Women’s University will send their students to the Wenzao campus to ineract with their fellow students here on internship. In our survey, most Japanese students have had high remark for their learning experience at Wenzao and established positive relations with their counterparts. Our department has a home-stay program in place to assist Japanese students in settling in local environment of foreign culture. In addition, sister universities will offer short-term language classes for exchange students over the summer/winter vacations.
International Cooperation Degree Program
To promote academic exchanges, we has cooperated with the Faculty of Cultural Studies at the University of Kochi on creating a dual degree program.
Department of Spanish
We are the sister school of many prestigious universities, including la Universidad de Navarra, la Universidad de Salamanca and la Universidad de Alcalá. We are currently conducting an academic cooperation project and planning on signing a sister school agreement with la Universidad de Castilla de la Mancha in Cuenca. Every summer, nearly 40 students attend the department’s study abroad program in our sister universities. Furthermore, every year, four to six students receive scholarship to attend 6-month or 1-year exchange programs.
In April 2006, the department head visited numbers of prestigious universities in Panama, Costa Rica and Guatemala and signed sister school partnership with University of Panama and Latin and University of Panama. The department is in talk with these institutes on offering short-term visiting professor positions to their faculty.
In August 2017, signed a dual degree programs agreement with Universidad de Navarra Facultad de Filosofia y Letras.