About our Department
Wenzao Ursuline University of Languages is the only university of foreign languages in Taiwan. For more than forty years, it has devoted its efforts to providing an educational program based on foreign languages and has won a reputation in developing many talents in the field of foreign languages for the benefit of society. The Roman Union of the Order of St. Ursula, the founder of the College, believes that education is a mission that requires time and effort. In order to fulfill the principles of Wenzao: Respect personal pride, accept individual differences, develop potentiality, and serve others requires years of cultivation for the development of talents. Wenzao values not only the training in foreign languages and the development of students professional knowledge, but also students understanding of Chinese culture. It also values the personal development of each student. With different educational programs, increasing number of students, and the development of extensive education, Wenzao has gradually increased its influence.
To meet the needs of national policies, society and the schools development, Wenzao planned the establishment of the Department of Digital Content Application and Management, and started recruitment for a four-year-college system in August 2004.
Goals of Teaching
- Following the spirit of the Order of St. Ursula and the idea of holistic education at Wenzao, the Department develops the inter-disciplinary talents with an artistic sense, teamwork spirit and professional ethics.
- The main focus of the Department is the development of the digital contents for the digital value-added marketing and digital teaching materials. Through designing different digital contents and providing a solid education in foreign languages, the Department develops talents with an international perspective.
- In regard to teaching foreign languages at Wenzao, the Department trains the talents by developing digital language teaching materials through multimedia technology and computer animation.
- By integrating the fields of information management and digital content design through the planning and the building of the websites, the Department trains professional talents in digital value-added marketing who are capable of managing and marketing the digital contents.
Expanding the digital content is the goal of the Department. It also links the Department to relevant industries such as digital media production, animation and digital learning. The department provides what the industry needs with talents who possess a solid language education and professional knowledge and skills in digital contents.
Abiding by the spirit of Ursuline education and Wenzao’s holistic approach, our primary goal is to cultivate professional talents in digital content with an international perspective. The four teaching features of our department are:
- Worldwide university partnership:
Establish partnerships with digital content-related departments worldwide (currently focusing on universities in South Korea). We aim to provide a world-class learning environment which broadens our students’ horizons and helps them to become professional talents in digital content and with an international perspective.
- Digital content industry partnerships:
By establishing industry-academy alliances with digital content industry, we facilitate the exchange of teachers and courses with industry and provide internships and preferable job opportunities for our students. We strive to bridge the gap between education and employment, and cultivate professional talents the industry needs (please refer to the Career Prospect page).
- Elite education:
We follow the spirit of Germany’s apprenticeship to hone students’ professional skills in digital content. Five elite teams (3D animation elite team, 3D Game development elite team, e-commerce development and design elite team, 2D digital design elite team and 3D interactive program application development elite team) led by dedicated teachers make use of their spare time for training (summer and winter breaks, as well as holidays and weekends). The budget for the teaching excellence project is used to pay for extra lectures and contests, in order to cultivate our students to become elites in digital content contests (please refer to Elite Team page).
- Holistic education with value of Serviam:
Our service learning courses are based on the holistic education that emphasizes the value of Serviam, Gospel justice, respect for the individual, the development of the whole person and a growing global awareness for all of God’s creations.We encourage our students to participate in service clubs such as the DCAM Information Volunteer Club and DCAM Student Association. By providing volunteering services to children in remote areas and Wenzaorians, these service clubs help students cultivate the value of Serviam.
We follow the spirit of Germany’s apprenticeship to hone students’ professional skills in digital content. Three elite teams led by dedicated teachers make use of their spare time for training (summer and winter breaks, as well as holidays and weekends). The budget for the teaching excellence project is used to pay for extra lectures and contests, in order to cultivate our students to become elites in digital content contests.